B&B accommodation close to Marlow & Wycombe

About Cadmore End, Marlow, High Wycombe & Stockenchurch

Cadmore End

St Mary's Church Cadmore End
St Mary's Church Cadmore End

South Fields Bed and Breakfast accommodation is in the small Chiltern village of Cadmore End. With a population of only 140 it is part of the parish of Lane End which also includes Wheeler End and Bolter End. Situated high up in the spectacular Chiltern Hills, home of the famed Red Kites, it is surrounded by magnificent hanging beech woods and stunning views over the Thames valley. With a network of footpaths and bridleways it is an ideal location for walkers, riders, and cyclists. It has two pubs - the Old Ship, serving traditional beers straight from traditional wooden casks, and The Blue Flag both serving food. It is less than 5 miles from Wycombe Air Park and the Blue Max Museum which houses a collection of historic flying machines that have starred in many films.

Marlow-on-Thames

Bridge over River Thames in Marlow
Bridge over River Thames in Marlow

This pretty, busy riverside town has recently taken on a commercial aspect with the growth of the Globe Business Park. Its three prestigious hotels The Compleat Angler Hotel; Danesfield House Hotel and The Crowne Plaza Hotel are testimony to its growing importance. Marlow is of considerable historical significance having been recorded in The Domesday Book of 1086 when it was valued at �25. It has also been the home of distinguished writers and poets over the years including Percy Bysshe Shelley, his wife Mary Shelley, T .S .Eliot and Jerome. K. Jerome, author of “Three Men in a Boat”. Its most famous living resident is undoubtedly Sir Steve Redgrave, winner of five successive Olympic gold rowing medals.

High Wycombe

All Saints Church High Wycombe
All Saints Church High Wycombe

Although primarily a commercial centre with Cressex Business Park & Kingsmead Business Park close by, High Wycombe is surrounded by some of the loveliest countryside in southern England. Situated in a deep valley in the heart of the Chilterns High Wycombe is the largest town in Buckinghamshire having grown up in 18th & 19th centuries around the furniture industry. It was once known as “the furniture capital of England”. Its wide typically Georgian High Street is dominated at its western end by the Little Market House built by Robert Adam known affectionately as “The Pepperpot”. It is also home of the Wycombe Swan Theatre one of the finest theatres outside London.

Stokenchurch

Fleur de Lys Stokenchurch
Fleur de Lys Stokenchurch

Stokenchurch is less than 10 minutes drive from South Fields B&B. It is situated on the main A40 road and under a mile from Junction 5 of the M40. There are a large number of pubs in the village probably because Stokenchurch was at one time a staging post to change horses after the steep climb up the Chiltern escarpment. There were thirteen pubs and ale houses in the village in 1864 including the present-day Fleur de Lys and The Four Horse Shoes. The Kings Arms Hotel is where King Charles 11 is reputed to have stayed with his mistress in the 17th century .Today Stokenchurch is largely a residential village with a small number of high-tech companies around its borders.

Area Attractions

Within 30 miles there are many attractions:

Photo of Windsor Castle with permission of Edward Staines
Photo of Windsor Castle

associates

Call Judith:
01494 881976